After starting a carve, your machine does not touch the material. There are a few possible causes for this issue:
- Mechanical issues: loose v-wheels or belts
- Wiring: loose stepper motor wires
- Assembly: Z-Axis upgrade needs to be lowered
If you do not have the z-axis direct drive or still have issues, follow the steps in this guide: Depth is wrong
Check the Z-Axis Direct Drive Assembly
(Also referred to as current X-Carve Z-Axis or 2021 Z-Axis Upgrade)
- When carving thinner materials, you may need to lower your z-axis assembly. There is a plate on the bottom that prevents the router mount from riding down off the rail. The router may be hitting that bottom plate before the bit can reach the table.
- Install a v-bit and lower the router so it is at the lowest position. If the bit does not reach the wasteboard, loosen the 4 screws holding the z-axis assembly, lower the z-axis and ensure the z-axis is square before tightening.
- Be careful when lowering the z-axis with a bit installed. The z-axis is heavy and will drop if not supported as you loosen the screws.