The X-Carve has undergone many changes over the years and has had a few different variations in size (1000mm, 750mm, and 500mm). Simply put, the X-Carve can be broken down into these iterations:
Available only in 1000mm
- X-Carve Upgrade Kit - (Direct Drive Z-Axis, Risers/Stiffeners, 9mm Belts, Updated NEMA 23 Motors)
Available in 1000mm, 750mm, and 500mm. (750mm & 500mm Discontinued in October 2019)
- Full-Sized Waste Board Kits
- X-Controller Kit - replaced Arduino/gShield controller
- NEMA 23 Motors (with stepper motor cable assemblies) - replaced direct-wired motors
- DeWalt 611 / D26200 Router
- Wide MakerSlide - updated X-Axis slide/rail
- Updated Drag Chain Kit
- Sideboard Kits
2015 & Earlier (Pre-September 2016)
Available in 1000mm, 750mm, and 500mm.
- Arduino/gShield controller (sodering required)
- Multiple Discontinued Router Options
- Two Standard MakerSlides make up the X-Axis rail
- Direct-wired Motors (sodering required)
- Wiring requires additional machine mounted terminals
It is possible to update an older machine to have the same components as our current model 1000mm X-Carve, as of November 2021. However, it is important to mention that this process is still expensive and can take quite a bit of time, as it is essentially building a new machine.
If time is of the essence and you are able to spend a little more money, we suggest purchasing a new 1000mm X-Carve.
For 2015 model X-Carves (Pre-September 2016), it is important that you are at least using the X-Controller, Wide MakerSlide, and the updated stepper motor cable assemblies (white plugs - not direct wired) to be compatible with the X-Carve Upgrade Kit.
A simple way to update a 2015 machine to match 2016 models is via the 2015 to 2016 Update Kit which includes:
- Wide MakerSlide
- Side Board
- Stepper Motor Cable - 4 conductor, 18 ga shielded wire (25305-03 not the stepper motor cable assemblies)
- X-Carve sticker for the MakerSlide
The Z-Axis Drive is heavier than the older stock Z-Axis, so the Wide MakerSlide would help with holding weight. The previous motors were directly wired, so the updated cables are necessary for connecting the newer motors. And the previous Arduino/gShield controller will not have the power to run the upgrades to their full/intended capabilities. Without using these components, especially the controller, would not be much of an upgrade to the machine.
2015 X-Carves also had an earlier version of the Drag Chain Kit, which was considerably smaller. In order to be compatible with the updated Drag Chain Kit the Gantry Side Plates (x2) and X-Carriage will also need to be updated, as the previous version did not have the correct openings for the hardware.
List of components needed to update earlier models (2015-2021) to the current kit:
|X-Carve NEMA 23 Cable Subassembly (Stepper Motor Cable Assemblies)||30828-01||1 (4 cables)|
|X-Carve Upgrade Kit||Bundle||1|
|Gantry Side Plate||30525-02||2|
|X-Carve Drag Chain Kit - 1000mm||30771-06||1|
Side Board Kit (Optional)
|Makita 1/8" Router Collet||30890-01||1|
Note: Some of these components are already present on 2016-2021 model X-Carves.
Extend 500mm or 750mm models to the 1000mm X-Carve: