The X-Carve has undergone many changes over the years and has had a few different variations in size (1000mm, 750mm, and 500mm). Simply put, the X-Carve can be broken down into these iterations:
Available only in 1000mm
- X-Carve Upgrade Kit - (Direct Drive Z-Axis, Risers/Stiffeners, 9mm Belts, Updated NEMA 23 Motors)
Available in 1000mm, 750mm, and 500mm. (750mm & 500mm Discontinued in October 2019)
- Full-Sized Waste Board Kits
- X-Controller Kit - replaced Arduino/gShield controller
- NEMA 23 Motors (with stepper motor cable assemblies) - replaced direct-wired motors
- DeWalt 611 / D26200 Router
- Wide MakerSlide - updated X-Axis slide/rail
- Updated Drag Chain Kit
- Sideboard Kits
2015 & Earlier
Available in 1000mm, 750mm, and 500mm.
- Arduino/gShield controller (sodering required)
- Multiple Discontinued Router Options
- Two Standard MakerSlides make up the X-Axis rail
- Direct-wired Motors (sodering required)
- Wiring requires additional machine mounted terminals
It is possible to update an older machine to have the same components as our current model 1000mm X-Carve, as of November 2021. However, it is important to mention that this process is still expensive and can take quite a bit of time, as it is essentially building a new machine.
If time is of the essence and you are able to spend a little more money, we suggest purchasing a new 1000mm X-Carve.
For pre-2015 X-Carves, it is important that you are at least using the X-Controller, Wide MakerSlide, and the updated stepper motor cable assemblies (white plugs - not direct wired) to be compatible with the X-Carve Upgrade Kit.
A simple way to update a 2015 machine to match 2016 models is via the 2015 to 2016 Update Kit which includes:
- Wide MakerSlide
- Side Board
- Stepper Motor Cable - 4 conductor, 18 ga shielded wire (25305-03 not the stepper motor cable assemblies)
- X-Carve sticker for the MakerSlide
The Z-Axis Drive is heavier than the older stock Z-Axis, so the Wide MakerSlide would help with holding weight. The previous motors were directly wired, so the updated cables are necessary for connecting the newer motors. And the previous Arduino/gShield controller will not have the power to run the upgrades to their full/intended capabilities. Without using these components, especially the controller, would not be much of an upgrade to the machine.
Pre-2015 X-Carve Gantry Side Plates and X-Carriage will need to be updated to be compatible with the updated Drag Chain Kit and Z-Probe Kit (previous versions do not have the correct openings for the hardware):
- Gantry Side Plates (x2)
Extend 500mm or 750mm models to the 1000mm X-Carve: