Throughout the cutting process, the depth is either completely wrong or each pass is cutting an uneven amount of material.
Check the Z-Axis Assembly
Pre-November 2021 X-Carve Z-Axis Belt Drive
Current X-Carve Z-Axis or 2021 Z-Axis Upgrade:
- When carving thinner materials, you may need to lower your z-axis assembly. There is a plate on the bottom that prevents the router mount from riding down off the rail. The router may be hitting that bottom plate before the bit can reach the table.
- Using a short bit, such as a v-bit, lower the router so it is at the lowest position. If the bit does not reach the wasteboard, loosen the 4 screws holding the z-axis assembly, lower the z-axis and ensure the z-axis is square before tightening.
Be careful when lowering the z-axis with a bit installed. The z-axis is heavy and will drop if not supported as you loosen the screws.
Check the bit is not loose in the collet or being pushed up.
Check the Z-Axis Work Zero is correct.
- Use the Z-probe near the carving position.
- Make sure the bit is touching the top of the material before you confirm the work zero position.
Check if the material is level.
Lay your material on a flat surface and press down on each corner to see if it wobbles.
Alternatively, you can measure the material thickness (using a pair of calipers) on each corner or side.
If the material is wood, and you have a planer, you can even it out. Make sure to re-measure the material thickness
- Ensure clamps are evenly distributed.
Check the wasteboard is level.
- Surface the wasteboard to ensure the bit is perpendicular to the carving surface
- For left to right depth issues, square the gantry and rails: X-Carve Calibration and Maintenance
Check you have the correct firmware settings for your machine.
- Walkthrough Tutorial: Firmware Settings Check
- Walkthrough Tutorial: Machine Profile Set Up for X-Carve