Throughout the cutting process, the depth is either completely wrong or each pass is cutting an uneven amount of material.
Check the bit is not loose in the collet or being pushed up.
Check the Z-Axis Work Zero is correct.
- Use the Z-probe near the carving position.
- Make sure the bit is touching the top of the material before you confirm the work zero position.
Check if the material is level.
Lay your material on a flat surface and press down on each corner to see if it wobbles.
Alternatively, you can measure the material thickness (using a pair of calipers) on each corner or side.
If the material is wood, and you have a planer, you can even it out. Make sure to re-measure the material thickness
- Ensure clamps are evenly distributed.
Check the wasteboard is level.
- Surface the wasteboard to ensure the bit is perpendicular to the carving surface
- For left to right depth issues, square the gantry and rails: X-Carve Calibration and Maintenance
Check you have the correct firmware settings for your machine.
- Walkthrough Tutorial: Firmware Settings Check
- Walkthrough Tutorial: Machine Profile Set Up for X-Carve
Check the Z-Axis Assembly
Pre-November 2021 X-Carve Z-Axis Belt Drive
Current X-Carve Z-Axis or 2021 Z-Axis Upgrade:
- When carving thinner materials, you may need to lower your z-axis assembly. There is a plate on the bottom that prevents the router mount from riding down off the rail. The router may be hitting that bottom plate before the bit can reach the table.
- Lower the router so it is at the lowest position. If the bit does not reach the wasteboard, loosen the 4 screws holding the z-axis assembly, lower the z-axis and ensure the z-axis is square before tightening.
Be careful when lowering the z-axis with a bit installed. The z-axis is heavy and will drop if not supported as you loosen the screws.